Taken from Claudia Roden’s book Arabesque, a collection of Moroccan, Turkish and Lebanese recipes. I stumbled across this in there along with a killer photo of same and figured these had to be made!
The recipe as provided serves six, so adjust accordingly; I’ve also simplified the instructions a touch based on how I made them:
* 4 red bell peppers
* 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* one can of tuna, flaked
* 2 tbsp capers
* 4 tbsp chopped black olives
* peel of 1/2 preserved lemon, chopped (optional)
* 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
* 6 large tomatoes (beefsteak recommended — as you can see, I went with heirlooms of various sorts)
Roast the peppers at near max oven temperature for 30 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes. They should be soft with blistered/blackened skins.
Place the peppers in a covered pan for 15 minutes; when cool enough to handle, peel and remove stem and seeds, then chop into 3/4 inch or so strips or chunks.
Mix with all other ingredients except the tomatoes.
Cut a small circle around the stalk of each tomato and cut out a cap. (If using heirlooms, note that if you’re not careful you might cut all the way through to the bottom!) Gently scoop out the center and seeds, then stuff each with the mixture and place the cap on top of each.
Arrange in a shallow baking dish, bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are a little soft. But don’t let them fall apart!
Serve hot or cold, but cold recommended.
Meanwhile, as a side dish a potato or carrot salad is recommended, but it being a hot day (which is why these tomatoes are chilling right now) I’m going with this melon/cucumber recipe provided with the basket the other day:
Melon-Cucumber Salad for 2
15 min | 15 min prep
* 2 tablespoons salad oil
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 dash fresh ground pepper
* 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
* 1 cup melon (1/4 inch pieces, honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon)
* crisp crunchy salad greens
1. Mix oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
2. Toss cucumber slices, melon and oil mixture in bowl.
4. Remove with slotted spoon to salad greens.
© 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com
So there you go!